- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 5 cups low sodium or no-salt-added vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 3 cups cooked black beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans low sodium or no-salt-added black beans, drained
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 avocado, chopped
- In a soup pot, heat 2-3 tablespoons water, add onion and green pepper and water saute until tender, about 5 minutes, adding more water if needed to prevent sticking. Add garlic and saute another 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, cumin, chili powder and red pepper flakes and cook for 2-3 minutes, until tomatoes soften. Add carrots and vegetable broth, bring to a boil, stir in the quinoa, reduce heat, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add black beans and continue cooking until heated through and quinoa is tender, about 10 minutes. Add spinach and stir until wilted.
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro and lime juice. Serve garnished with chopped avocado.